Monday, March 10, 2008

Message of the Day - The Rituals We Love

Good Morning,

 

Yesterday afternoon, I spent some time with my daughter, Samantha. We drove to the local mall to sell of bunch of my CD’s to a store to raise some funds for an upcoming trip to NYC for my other daughter, Stephanie’s sweet 16 present. During the trip, Samantha purchased yet another stuffed animal. Today’s craze is the ‘Webkins’ where you get the stuffed animal and get to play them online. What marketing genius!

Samantha now has enough stuffed animals to play the House of Representatives. “The floor recognizes the stuffed penguin…..”

 

On the way home, with her new acquisition (a cute stuffed elephant) in hand she starts our ritual for every stuffed animal she owns.

 

Sam asks “What should I name her?”

I say “How about wrinkles, because elephants have wrinkles?”

Sam replies “Not this one.”

I respond “How about trunkie?”

“No!”

“How about Dumbo?”

“She is a girl”

“Ok, Dumba!”

“No”

 

And it continues for a few minutes during the drive home while I grasp at straws.

 

“How about Africa or Asia because elephants come from there”

“No, do you know any African words?”

“I know Uhura, which is based on the Swahili word for Freedom”

“I like that one”

 

And the ritual comes to an end, until what time I have to spell Uhura for her.

 

These little rituals make life worth living. I know it can be tedious and annoying playing the name game here, but this special ritual is part of my relationship with my daughter and I would never give it up. Of course, until she outgrows stuffies.

 

What are the rituals in your life that you love?

 

Enjoy!

 

Sanford Berenberg

Sanford@berenberg.net

http://sanfordberenberg.blogspot.com/  ß Check out the new Blog site

502-533-9336

 

PS: If you know others who may enjoy this message of the day, please pass this message on or invite them to receive them themselves by sending a request to me. If you wish to stop receiving these, please also let me know. Thank you!!!

 

 

 

 

No comments: