Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Message of the Day - Is your self image not what you see in the mirror?

Good Morning,

 

I have started reading Eckhart Tolle’s new book ‘A New Earth’ this week (http://www.eckharttolle.com/). Wow, what a deep read. One section that caught my attention is how Eckhart Tolle talked about how we live our lives based on the image we have of ourselves (physically and mentally) which is generated by our ego.

 

You know, the ‘I’m too this, too that, I’m always sick, I am no good at math, etc.’ This goes beyond invisible limits we put on ourselves. This is living our lives, interacting with others, working, loving, etc., with a fixed image of who we are, which may not be who we are.

 

Imagine finding out after all this time, that you are not who you thought you were? I am not suggesting you were switched with another baby in the hospital nursery, rather that you may be selling yourself short on who you really are.

 

Karen, my wife is a good example of someone who overcame this. She tells me she is terrible with math. She also does all of our finances. And according to my father, a retired EVP of Finance, CFO, etc., a man who lives, breaths and dreams math and finances; Karen is very good, almost as good as him. And he tells everyone this. (He tells people none of his kids have the ‘money gene’, so he is exceptionally proud to have Karen as a daughter-in-law).

 

How is this possible? She did not look at her check book and just give up saying ‘I’m not good with math, I can’t balance my checkbook.’

 

Karen accepted she had limits with math, and worked extra hard to get passed them. She focuses twice as hard and double checks everything. In the end, she did not limit herself to a life of being terrible with math and run into financial ruin, etc.

 

What limitations are you living with in your life which with some effort and rethinking could be overcome?

 

Enjoy!

 

Sanford Berenberg

Sanford@berenberg.net

http://sanfordberenberg.blogspot.com/  ß Check out the new Blog site

502-533-9336

 

PS: If you know others who may enjoy this message of the day, please pass this message on or invite them to receive them themselves by sending a request to me. If you wish to stop receiving these, please also let me know. Thank you!!!

 

 

 

No comments: