Friday, March 7, 2008

Message of the Day - Dispute Yourself

Good Morning,

 

Continuing with the book “Authentic Happiness” by Martin Seligman, Ph.D. The author talks about defusing the negativity we face in life. That is to actively question and criticize our negative thoughts and feelings to remove the negativity. This ties into what I recently learned from Todd Arwood (Todd Arwood Performance Partners) where 77% of our thoughts are negative in nature.

 

Many of our negative thoughts and feelings are fleeting and really are not founded in any reality, yet we feel them and often get swept up into them and depress or anger ourselves.

 

Why not look at our feelings head on and ask: “why am I upset.”

 

I remember a time in Buffalo, NY when I was shopping in a supermarket and I passed by an upset lady. Suddenly I started feeling down and upset. I wanted to get out of the store and just go home, because the day was going to be horrible. So I stopped myself and asked, “Why am I upset?” I thought to myself that a few minutes ago, I was happy, so I asked myself “What changed?” So I thought about that and realized that nothing had changed. Then I remembered the very upset lady who looked sullen and depressed and then it hit me, I was empathizing with her. At that moment, the dark feelings lifted off and I felt better.

 

We may not be able to diffuse all negative feelings this way, but why not try. Use logic and facts to defeat negative feelings, and Dispute Yourself!

 

Enjoy!

 

Sanford Berenberg

Sanford@berenberg.net

http://sanfordberenberg.blogspot.com/  ß Check out the new Blog site

502-533-9336

 

PS: If you know others who may enjoy this message of the day, please pass this message on or invite them to receive them themselves by sending a request to me. If you wish to stop receiving these, please also let me know. Thank you!!!

 

 

 

No comments: