Saturday, June 28, 2008

Message of the Day - Tale of Two Levels of Service

Good Morning,

 

Welcome New Recipients!!

 

A few moments ago, my family and I arrived back home from our trip from New York City. I had hoped to contact some folks while there, but I guess I am getting a bit older these days and after walking around The City all day for five days with my teenage daughter and her friend, I was too dang tired and hot and sticky to call each night. I apologize to those who were hoping to hear from me.

 

During our trip, we had two customer service experiences where were night and day. Lincoln Limousines and The Salisbury Hotel.

 

The Salisbury Hotel was an outstanding place to stay. The staff was attentive and caring. They clearly gave us the expectations of service they would provide us, and you know what, we received every bit of what they promised and more. Karen’s hair dryer died during the week, and she put it in the garbage to be disposed of. That afternoon, we found it on the dresser. The staff thought we had mistakenly threw it away. On the second night, one of the air conditioner units would not work with the normal outlet and tripped the circuit breaker on the only other outlet that would work. I asked for them to look at it. They offered to come up that night, but we agreed upon them coming the next day. When we arrived back in the room, not only was the AC working, it was a new unit entirely, not just a jerry-rigged solution. This morning we asked how long it would take to get a cab, and they were accurate within seconds of the expectation they set. It is amazing how wonderful a team can be when they both know what their job is and follow through on every expectation they give to their customers.  

 

The Lincoln Limousine service was contracted to pick my daughter, her friend, Karen and I up at the airport when we arrived with a stretched limo. The trip was for Stephanie’s 16th birthday, so we wanted to start it off with style. The day before our trip, I received an email saying our 6 AM flight was now departing at 12 Noon. I immediately called the limo service and notified them of the change. They were to pick us up at baggage claim. Our flight ended up being delayed by 30 minutes due to weather, and when we arrived. No limo. When I called, they said that we should wait outside, in the rain, in the heat, for them to pull up to the middle island outside of LaGuardia Terminal and they would be by in 15 minutes. The invoice we received included parking, so why would they need to park if they were only going to stop and pick us up. After 25 minutes, I called again, and was told they were close, give them another 5 minutes. 20 minutes later we called again, and we were told the first car was in an accident and new car was being sent, give it 15 minutes. 30 minutes later, no car. We called again, and the person said another 3 minutes. We told them cancel the service, and we took a cab. I was livid to say the least. Repeated failure to deliver what was promised, repeated miss-information given. When I called later that day from the hotel to cancel the planned return trip, they not only did not even act like they were sorry; they had already cancelled the return drive….

 

I can tell you one service I would recommend to everyone, and the other, well, buyer beware.

 

Good service, delivering what you promise can help make a tough situation a better one. I did not mind a hot night with a broken air conditioner because I knew the hotel would fix it, and they did as planned.

 

Bad service, I will never use that company again, and it ruined what Karen and I had planned for a magical start to a great week.

 

What type of service do you want to deliver?

 

Enjoy!

 

Sanford Berenberg

Sanford@berenberg.net

http://sanfordberenberg.blogspot.com/

502-533-9336

 

PS: If you know others who may enjoy this message of the day, please pass this message on or invite them to receive them themselves by sending a request to me. If you wish to stop receiving these, please also let me know. Thank you!!!

 

 

No comments: