Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Message of the Day - Moments For Reflection

Good Morning,

 

With all the chaos going on during this action-packed summer, I am trying hard not to miss the key moments that happen in my life. You know, those times when you stop and reflect that your life has just changed and now you must choose your path from that point forward.

 

My most memorable of these moments was back in August 14, 1995. That morning at around 9 AM a roof collapsed and fell on me and broke both of my legs. I reached the hospital around 10 AM and waited in the ER for a room until about 7 PM that evening. During that time laying there, in pain, I realized that at that moment, my life had changed. That at that moment, I could not just go back to my life as I knew it. Life had changed, and I had to decide what to do about it.

 

Rarely do we get those crystal clear moments in life where we can just lay there and say definitively that life had changed.

 

One of those moments happened to me this past Sunday, June 8, 2008. At 10:35 AM or thereabouts, I publicly professed my acceptance of Christ in the form of baptism. I became a Messianic Jew. This should have been a stellar moment in my life. The other fellow who was baptized was gleaming and beaming afterwards, flying on cloud nine. Me, no, nothing like that. It kind of bewildered me.

 

Then over the next few hours I realized that part of this lack of an ‘aha’ moment was all the chaos and activity going on in my life. I finish my MBA program in a week and had three papers to write. I am still in the middle of planning my trip to get my Mom out of Mexico. My day job is action-packed, and I am in the middle of a transition to a new role. In two weeks, Karen and I fly to New York City with our daughter for  her  16th Birthday. In August I get to go back to New York as I am blessed to be the best man for my best friends wedding. Most of this is wonderful, but it has taken up a lot of my attention.

 

When I realized that instead of reflecting on my moment, that I was looking at all of what had to be done, I realized I was robbing myself of my moment. At that moment, the gleaming and beaming started. I was able to reflect and think on how my life had changed and how I was going to go forward.

 

Life is fast paced, there is almost always something going on.

 

Don’t let this deny you of your moments of reflection.

 

Enjoy!

 

Sanford Berenberg

Sanford@berenberg.net

http://sanfordberenberg.blogspot.com/

502-533-9336

 

PS: If you know others who may enjoy this message of the day, please pass this message on or invite them to receive them themselves by sending a request to me. If you wish to stop receiving these, please also let me know. Thank you!!!

 

No comments: