Sunday, August 30, 2009

Message of the Day: The Power of a Teacher!

Good Morning,

 

A few weeks ago I was looking through my Facebook friend suggestions and I saw a name which caught me off-guard. The last name was that of my 5th Grade Teacher. When I looked at our mutual friends I saw my sister and a few other school friends. My heart raced as I clicked to ask her to be my friend on Facebook. A day or so later, she accepted my friend request and I went to write a message to her.

 

Now this teacher was not only my 5th Grade Teacher, but she was my favorite teacher of all times. She was a blessing to me in a time of my life when my parents had been divorced only a few years and money was tight (I received meal vouchers at school, kind of embarrassing back then). My teacher made me feel intelligent and important. So getting back in touch with her again was a joy.

 

She remembered that I was in the class of 1978-9. She even remembered a project I worked on, a report and drawing on an animal called an ‘Oribi’. Of course, me being a thick-headed fool I can be, said no, I did my project the ‘Pronghorn’ instead because it was the fasted land mammal in North America. Over the next day or so, my memories started to sharpen and low and behold, I do remember doing the report just as my teacher had said I did.

 

She had not seen nor heard from me for 32 years and has had hundreds of students before and after me and she still knew that one project I worked on. You can see how she was able to make me feel important.

 

I shared this story with my younger daughter’s 5th Grade teacher (from last year) of how my 5th Grade teacher remembered my project from 32 years ago and how I questioned it and was wrong. She smiled and told me that I should know better than to question my teacher.

 

In looking back over my life, this teacher, like many others has been very influential in making who I am today. I remember her above others because she allowed me to shine as a student. She knew how to reach me and make me feel important and intelligent.

 

What a powerful part of our lives a teacher can play. How many teachers can you remember from back in the day who have helped you become who you are today?

 

Maybe take the time to see if they are still out there and if possible, thank them…again!

 

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If a teacher is reading this, please forgive my grammar, I will bring in an apple tomorrow!

 

Enjoy!

 

 

Sanford Berenberg

Sanford@berenberg.net

http://www.berenberg.net 

http://learnandgrowdaily.com ß-Cick here to order: "Learn And Grow Daily!"
http://sanfordberenberg.blogspot.com/

502-533-9336

 

 

 

 

No comments: