Monday, August 10, 2009

Message of the Day - Enduring Accomplishments

Good Morning,

 

This evening after dinner, I went to pick up the mail and found a package from the National Eagle Scout Association with my membership materials. As I opened the package and looked within, I saw the shiny membership card and bright certificate. Upon both of them I saw the year that I earned my Eagle right on top, 1985.

 

As I looked over the material with a tear in my eye, I remembered back nearly 30 years of the decisions that I made in my life as a teenager. Of my meteoric rise in rank in the Boy Scouts up to the second to last rank and the three or so years I languished until I got my butt in gear to finish the requirements for my Eagle.

 

I made many decisions about my life during those three years which did not amount to much in the big picture in my life. I honestly do not remember much of any of them. I watched TV, I played roleplaying games, I hung out with friends. Looking back at that time there are few activities I remember and fewer that I look back upon with the enduring feeling of accomplishment. I do remember, though, getting my Eagle and the words of advice I gained at my Eagle banquet. I was told ‘Once and Eagle, always an Eagle’.

 

The saying has stuck with me, but has gained new meaning over the last few hours. Sure, once I got my accomplishment, it would be one that I would have for life, but there is more to it than that.

 

What I accomplish NOW may have little to no impact to my future, or it may be something that in 25-30 years that I look back upon with proud teary-eyes. For example, finishing my Bachelors and MBA degrees versus finishing Balder’s Gate or Final Fantasy X on Playstation II.

 

So, how does this affect me you may ask?

 

If you are sitting in front of the computer at night and playing games or watching the same episode of Family Guy for the 50th time, will these action be something you will look back fondly upon after 10 or more years?

 

If you are a few college credits away from getting a degree, do you see yourself lamenting 20 years from now about how you could have finished college back in the gold old days?

 

What we do now has a definite impact on our lives in the future. While we may not need to spend every waking moment focusing on these great accomplishments, we need to be thinking about them and doing them at a minimum.

 

Ask yourself, what can you do now, what can you finish now, that you will be proud to reflect on in 20 – 30 years?

 

Now, go do it!

 

Enjoy!

 

Sanford Berenberg

Sanford@berenberg.net

http://www.berenberg.net 



http://learnandgrowdaily.com ß-Cick here to order: "Learn And Grow Daily!"
http://sanfordberenberg.blogspot.com/

502-533-9336

 

No comments: