Monday, August 24, 2009

Message of the Day: Looking Deeper

Good Morning,

 

Today I called Wachovia Bank to find out the status of closing my Mom’s accounts and issuing a check so I can start her estate account and pay her final bills. Three weeks ago I gathered the required paperwork and submitted a request to start this. You have to fax your request to the Correspondence Team, who you cannot reach directly. About a week later when I called to find the status I was told I sent the wrong paperwork and was instructed to send basically the same paperwork (Death Certificate, Certificate of Qualification to be Administrator of Mom’s estate and letter requesting what to do with her funds). The second request went nowhere as well. I had one call with a supervisor who gave me point for point each item I needed, and this still did not fit the bill, I asked for a manager to call me, I am still waiting.

 

Then at my behest, my uncle called a contact at Wachovia who advised that what I was not being asked to send, which I needed to was a letter with my signature on it, with a public notary to confirm I was who I said I was. So I sent this. Then the next day, last Friday I called Wachovia and confirmed everything was in order

 

The first call, this morning, went to a lady who when reviewing the account did not see my name on the account and refused to give me any information. She refused to contact the correspondence team as she said she could not. Note some of the other reps I spoke with did call the correspondence team. I asked for a supervisor, and she said she could not transfer me, but could take my number and have someone call me back. I told her that I am still waiting for call back from last week. I started telling her I had no trust in their customer service and she hung up on me.

 

The second call, ten minutes later, went to a guy who looked over the account and saw that while I was not on the account, there was a death certificate connected to that account. This would mean that their customer was not going to be calling in for her money. He realized that someone was going to be executor or administrator so he put me on hold and called the correspondence team and confirmed everything I had been told on Friday. He then put in a note on the account saying that I was authorized to call in for information on Mom’s account.

 

The first representative followed the script; she protected the integrity of the account information and hung up on the customer when the call started getting heated. This really irritated the customer!!

 

The second representative took the time to look deeper into the account. He also protected the integrity of the account information by not giving out any information until he verified with his own company what I was talking about. He did not irritate the customer, he made the customer happy.

 

This might sound petty, but think about it, a situation like this, which is a legal one to begin with, could end up in a lawsuit. Lawsuits cost time and money and often end up hurting the business’ public perception (especially when there is a dearly departed sweet little old lady whose last wishes were to pay for her funeral and medical bills).

 

When you have an irate customer, take a few extra moments to look deeper into the account notes or whatever information you have. You may find that they are indeed right and what you are reading in the account is wrong. You may also avoid further escalations or worse.

 

I hope I get the second representative when I call back again tomorrow to make sure everything is still moving along.

 

One only can hope.

 

Enjoy!

 

 

Sanford Berenberg

Sanford@berenberg.net

http://www.berenberg.net 

http://learnandgrowdaily.com ß-Cick here to order: "Learn And Grow Daily!"
http://sanfordberenberg.blogspot.com/

502-533-9336

 

 

 

 

No comments: