Friday, August 28, 2009

Message of the Day - Sweet Memories

Good Morning,

 

Today we closed on our old house and are down to one monthly mortgage payment!  Hooray!

 

Yesterday, I brought my younger daughter, Samantha, to the old house for one more visit. She had lived most of her life in that house and was excited to see it one more time. When we arrived I offered to let her go through the house alone, but she wanted the company. So we went from room to room, starting with her old bedroom and going through the house. She seemed excited and shared stories of different things she remembered from the last 10 years.

 

As we left the house, we went to the backyard for a final look and then I remembered something from when I first moved into the house in 2003. Samantha and Stephanie, her older sister, told me that they kept little rocks and shells that they found in a stone tray-like block by the back of the house. Each rock and shell held a different memory. I told Samantha to look in that area and she went over to the stone and saw all of her little rocks.

 

Like prized treasures, she started picking up the ones that she wanted to take with her to the new house. Some of the stones were interesting shapes, some were crystals of some sort and there were a few sea shells. She took each one of these prized possessions and placed them into a small terracotta flower pot which was also sitting on the stone.

 

Samantha asked me how many of her stones and shells she could take. I smiled and told her as many as she wants. So she thoughtfully picked up a few more and then turned to me and said that she will leave the rest for the new home owner.

 

She wanted to leave some of her cherished memories for someone she had never met.

 

I felt warm inside knowing how much of a loving heart that 12 year old has, and how much she cares about others.

 

It also made me think of how we could share our memories with others, as a gift, like Samantha leaving some of her stones and shells for the new homeowner.

 

Shortly I will be calling a cousin of my Mom’s. They have not seen each other for years, so I will give her some of my memories of Mom as a gift to her.

 

Giving memories to others is a free gift, that we can give over and over again to as many people we would like. These gifts are unique to us, because they are our memories. Even if a bunch of people experienced the same event, each would have slightly different memories of the event as they each have a different personality and perception of events around them.

 

When you need to share something with another, why not give them some of your sweet memories?

 

Enjoy!

 

Sanford Berenberg

Sanford@berenberg.net

http://www.berenberg.net 

http://learnandgrowdaily.com ß-Cick here to order: "Learn And Grow Daily!"
http://sanfordberenberg.blogspot.com/

502-533-9336

 

 

 

No comments: