Thursday, August 27, 2009

Message of the Day - Deliver What You Promise

Good Morning,

 

On Thursday I finally received the funds from my Mom’s bank accounts and started the new estate bank account. Once the checks arrived, all worked out well, thankfully!

 

The road up to this event was not so smooth.

 

On Monday (of this week… week 3 of the ordeal) I called Wachovia to make sure everything was good, and you saw that message earlier in the week for that outcome. I then received a call the following day, Tuesday, from the Correspondence Team who asked me for the letter with the public notary. I advised her to look at the many faxes I sent to the bank and low and behold she found they already had it.

 

Then after that was all cleared up, I asked her to overnight the checks in one envelop with a signature confirmation, just like I requested in righting in yet another fax. I also asked her when I would get the tracking number so I could track down the UPS overnight letter. She told me to call customer service that they would know Wednesday afternoon (#1).

 

I called back on Wednesday afternoon and was told that they had no way of knowing the tracking number. She said I would have to call back on Thursday morning at 8:00 AM. Mind you, if all went well the checks would have been sent out at the time I was talking with this customer service representative (#2).

 

So, on Thursday morning I called back yet again and asked if they had the tracking number. They said no, they had no access to it (#3). Three different interactions, three different answers. Is this inspiring confidence in you? Me neither.

 

I then asked them if they could answer one simple question. Did the checks get sent overnight to my address on Wednesday? After about 5 minutes holding, I was told yes. The nice lady told me that she would research the tracking numbers and call me back when she found them.

 

At home Thursday morning, I took the day off from work, I hear the UPS truck pull up and pull out three envelops…and then I am simply handed them. No signature required…. If I had been working that day, these checks, enough to buy a couple BMWs, would have simply sat on my doorstep, alone, for 7 – 8 hours until someone came home.

 

So, I have the checks and I go to my bank to set up the estate account. As I am waiting to open the account I get a call from the nice lady at Wachovia to tell me the tracking numbers for the checks. I advise her thank you for your perseverance, that I had the checks.

 

What a mess. It all worked out in the end, but at each turn I was given different expectations of what was needed from me and what I needed to do next. It was like walking through a mine field, never knowing what is going to turn up next.

 

When you deliver a product or service, if you do not deliver what you promise or at least give consistent expectations to your customers, you will loose their trust.

 

It was at the point with Wachovia that they could have given me the winning lottery numbers and I would not have trusted them.

 

Is this the way you would want your business to be perceived?

 

No, me neither.

 

Deliver what you promise and try to be consistent in the service you do deliver. Each and every time!

 

Enjoy!

 

Sanford Berenberg

Sanford@berenberg.net

http://www.berenberg.net 

http://learnandgrowdaily.com ß-Cick here to order: "Learn And Grow Daily!"
http://sanfordberenberg.blogspot.com/

502-533-9336

 

 

 

 

No comments: