Monday, September 21, 2009

Message of the Day - Ripples in a pond are made after the pebble hits the water.

Good Morning,

 

This past evening I had the chance to have dinner with a former co-worker and dear friend, Jo. She and I worked together on two different teams several years back. She is a feisty gal and who is very upfront and honest. I have not had a chance to see her much as we both left the same company some time back, but we keep in touch through email and phone calls.

 

In our dinner we talked about the good ole days and the days that are ahead of us. It was fun spending time with someone who you respect and in return respects you, where you can be yourself and not worry about ripple effects.

 

During the conversation, Jo told me about the happenings on the day I left the job where we last worked together. That is, after I made my final rounds saying good bye to everyone and packed my things and left. I started tearing up as I heard how my team reacted after my final good-byes.

 

I was a radical leader back then (still am now J ). I pushed the envelope, innovated and allowed my team to do what they did best. I often had tough discussions with my bosses, who tried to rein me in, but I often pushed back and won, having a lot of information to back up my thoughts and plans (plus having results was always a plus).

 

Of all the things I did with the team, I spent a lot of time showing them that I cared about them; that I loved them and that I believed in and trusted them. I still do love them and support them, even though I do not see them as often as I would like.

 

I did not make it easy for the team, I pushed them and I held them accountable. I cared and loved them when I gave them praises and I cared and loved them when I gave them written warnings.

 

My approach caused a lot of stir in the management, and I know it still does today. Luckily my current boss is much more experienced and wiser and knows my heart and motives. Instead of spending time trying to hold me back, she channels my energies, although I suppose that I cause her to buy stock in Tylenol from time to time.

 

When faced with ‘playing the game’ or ‘towing the line’ in a company, I am going to rail against the line all the time. I am no corporate clone, and I often wonder how I have survived so long in corporate America. Maybe it is because I care about those I work with and for, and work to push them to better themselves and the entire organization. Maybe its because I also still have a lot to learn.

 

It is good to know that caring for others and loving those you work with has had such a powerful effect in the lives of those people. I caused many ripples in my day and if goes as planned, there are plenty more coming.

 

And with each of these ripples is another sign of love and caring and support for those I work with, those I mentor and those I call friend.

 

Be yourself, and don’t be so concerned about causing a few ripples to help those around you. You will all be better off for it.

 

Enjoy!

 

 

 

Sanford Berenberg

Sanford@berenberg.net

http://www.berenberg.net 

http://learnandgrowdaily.com ß-Cick here to order: "Learn And Grow Daily!"
http://sanfordberenberg.blogspot.com/

502-533-9336

 

No comments: