Sunday, September 20, 2009

Message of the Day - A Goal Too Far

Good Morning,

 

I wanted to have a book published to help others. It was a goal I had for many years. In fact I started writing self help books as far back as in the early 1990s. You won’t find any of them floating around these days as they never were published, much less completed. Back then, my goal, to publish a book to help others was a goal too far away from me to pursue. It was too big. I could see the goal, but not the path to get there.

 

Have you ever had a goal so large that no matter what you did, you never seemed to get closer to the goal? All the work and effort and prayers that went in achieving our huge goal never seemed to make a huge dent, and sometimes the harder we try, the more frustrated we get.

 

Sound familiar?

 

As stated in earlier messages one of the keys of obtaining large goals is setting smaller goals which are doable in shorter time frames. Instead of publishing a book, with a target date some two years down the road, I could set a goal of having an brainstorm list of ideas for the book within two weeks. That goal could also be broken down to daily goals of jotting down ideas for five to ten minutes every day.

 

Setting baby steps helps us take the bigger steps…but why?

 

It has a lot to do with having a recent ‘win’ or success under our belt to help us keep focused. If we enjoy doing something, we have a win, and generally we are more apt to do that activity again. On the other hand, if we have a hard time or no success in doing something, it takes more effort on our part to do that activity again.

 

Our setting shorter term goals, and with those goals, giving ourselves little wins along the way, we keep the momentum going on achieving our larger goals. Try not to set your small goals too small. A goal a day is about as small as you want to get. Setting a goal for every 10 minutes can get a bit tedious and even dilute the feeling of wins due to their frequency (although in some rare cases, this works).

 

With my book, I set a short term goal of organizing my messages into categories over the course of a week. Next I set the goal of editing each category over a few days each, and continued to set bite-sized chunks with these short durations. Then with each completion, I visualized how the entire book was starting to take shape and that gave me a win.

 

As I prepare for the second edition of my book, I look at the large goal and have stalled. So once again I must start with bite-sized goals to give me small wins to help me get to my goal.

 

Anyone can do this!

 

Just remember to break your goals into bite-sized chunks and find ways to give yourself a ‘win’ after achieving each goal.

 

Enjoy!

 

Sanford Berenberg

Sanford@berenberg.net

http://www.berenberg.net 

http://learnandgrowdaily.com ß-Cick here to order: "Learn And Grow Daily!"
http://sanfordberenberg.blogspot.com/

502-533-9336

 

 

No comments: