Saturday, August 2, 2008

Message of the Day - What We Don't Know

Good Morning,

 

I was further reflecting on my readings and the responses you sent back to me and I realized that I missed one key point in all that I have learned. The more I learned, the more I realized that I have much more to learn. That is, the more you know, the more there is know. One would think that the more you know, the less there is to learn as you know more and more of it. That assumes there is a finite amount of knowledge out there and that also assumes that you know of all the knowledge to be learned, and that is simply not the case on either front.

 

There is infinite knowledge and we keep learning and discovering all around the world every day. Also, most of what is out there is not known to us, how could it be? The more I read, the more I see of what is out there. The authors reference other books which I add to my wish list on Amazon (great for keeping track of books you want to get), and next thing you know, you finished one book and have three more that you have just learned about and want to read.

 

It is humbling to see that there is so much out there that we don’t know, and while we most likely will never know it all (see there really aren’t know it alls….) we can open our minds to learn more and become aware of the worlds of knowledge that were once hidden from us, and make new paths in those directions.

 

I look forward to further exploration of knowledge in untapped subjects and I look forward to the worlds of knowledge they will show me which I never knew existed before. For example, my current read “Undercover Economist” by Tim Harford (http://www.timharford.com) has shown me new ways to look at the way we buy groceries or even a cup of coffee, and now I see whole new areas that I had not seen before. Tim took the economic knowledge and broken it down from a MBA level to every day people level, something the schools do not all do so well.

 

This new way of thinking more so than the knowledge itself is just as valuable a tool as the knowledge itself. We get to see the world around us in new and exciting ways.

 

It is amazing what we don’t know and exciting to find out what it is.

 

Enjoy!

 

 

Sanford Berenberg

Sanford@berenberg.net

http://sanfordberenberg.blogspot.com/

502-533-9336

 

PS: If you know others who may enjoy this message of the day, please pass this message on or invite them to receive them themselves by sending a request to me. If you wish to stop receiving these, please also let me know. Thank you!!!

 

 

 

No comments: