Friday, August 8, 2008

Message of the Day - Being your best is better than winning

Good Morning,

 

My current read is John Wooden’s ‘Wooden on Leadership’ (http://www.amazon.com/Wooden-Leadership-John/dp/0071453393). For anyone who knows about John Wooden’s accomplishments with the UCLA Bruins 10 National Championships and multiple perfect seasons, the chance to learn how he led his team to accomplish these feats is exciting. Add to this how many other leadership greats all look to John Wooden as one of the best of the best.

 

Early on in the book Coach Wooden points out his goal was not to win. His goal was to help his team, both as individuals and as a team to be their best and keep working on improving their best. They must give their best in their practice as well as in their actual competitions. A team that wins who does not perform their best really did not win, because they could have done better. Teams that do their best, win or lose are winners as they performed at their peak, and what else can you ask from someone other than do their best. Anything more would be foolish, and dangerous.

 

I feel my best when I help others. My mentoring sessions with those I coach give me more energy and zest for life than any accomplishment at work. I feel that I win every time I make a difference in someone’s life. Last night I received an email of thanks for helping someone and being supportive while they achieved one of their goals over the last nine months. Having helped, I can say that I share in their joy and am proud of their achievement. It is success!

 

What about you? Do you do your best? Do you know what you are best at and do you do your best at it regularly? And do you try to improve upon that?

 

Be your best, every day.

 

Enjoy!

 

Sanford Berenberg

Sanford@berenberg.net

http://www.berenberg.net

http://sanfordberenberg.blogspot.com/

502-533-9336

 

PS: If you know others who may enjoy this message of the day, please pass this message on or invite them to receive them themselves by sending a request to me. If you wish to stop receiving these, please also let me know. Thank you!!!

 

 

No comments: