Thursday, April 3, 2008

Message of the Man - Unpack Your Baggage

Good Morning,

 

I am continuing, albeit slowly, through Eckhart Tolle’s ‘A New Earth’. It is very informinative and is giving a better insight in why we all carry emotional baggage and what it does to us, and why.

 

From other books, we learn that our Ego is not our friend unless we ride herd on it. In addition to our Ego speaking to us and distorting our reality, we have another part of us that Eckhart Tolle calls the Pain Body.

This is mass collection of negative feels, emotions, bad experiences all balled up into one mass of living breathing painful experiences. Worse yet, it is not a static list of experiences, it too looks for ways to grow and remind us of all the bad that has happened to us. It may lay dormant for days, weeks or even months, but can be triggered at any time by current events.

 

Thinking about it I can see this. You meet someone new and you get bad feelings about you have been hurt in the past by other new people, that is, you start feeling hurt, and nothing (presently) has happened to you. That is your pain-body trying to make itself known. Using logic and reason, you can defuse this entity. When you think about that new person, remember how you felt when you first met them, and acknowledge any emotions you get, but realize you don’t have to be sad if you don’t want to. 

 

For me, when I hear raised voices from my loved ones, my pain body revs up my adrenaline and I am ready to fight. Over the last few months, when I hear the raised voices, I am learning to acknowledge my anger, and then step back, affirming to myself that I am not my anger, and in growing regularity, the heated angry feeling washes over me and nearly vanishes. Actually, I have become a calmer person over all. I like it! It is like I have unpacked a lot of negative baggage.

 

So, remember, you are not your emotions. Acknowledge them, and understand that while they are part of you, they are not what controls you, unless you let them.

 

What a deep read, but wow how it explains so much.

 

Enjoy!

 

Sanford Berenberg

Sanford@berenberg.net

http://sanfordberenberg.blogspot.com/  ß Check out the new Blog site

502-533-9336

 

PS: If you know others who may enjoy this message of the day, please pass this message on or invite them to receive them themselves by sending a request to me. If you wish to stop receiving these, please also let me know. Thank you!!!

 

 

No comments: