Monday, December 22, 2008

Message of the Day - A pot hole does not have to be a sink hole

Good Morning,

 

Welcome new recipients!

 

Last week was not my best week. I had some rough days, and my performance was not what I would consider exceptional. This pothole in my work-life could easily become a sink hole if I let it.

 

I could blame my dip on my diabetes acting up and that my sugar was out of whack, being it is the holidays. Or, since my back has been bothering me (and yes I have been visiting the Chiropractor, Howard J ) that I have not been getting a good nights rest. I could also say that since I have been fighting off a cold all at the same time that I have every reason to deliver substandard performance. I could say that I am a life long learner and when bad and rough times hit me, it is everyone else who is causing me grief, because I know better.

 

Well, that is not me.

 

I accept that I am human, like everyone else and that I had a rough time, and instead of blaming it on easy targets, I am going to shine the light on myself. Next I am going to learn from it. What could have I done differently. What could have I done better?

 

Just because I have amassed a great deal of knowledge does not mean that I have finished learning. Once I stop, no matter how much I have learned, then I start dying (intellectually). There is no time that we reach the end of wisdom and know it all, and everything works out for us no matter what. What we do get is a better appreciation of how to approach situations and be able to proactively deal with them, instead of reactively.

 

As I take this bad week and look at from these eyes, I see that I am better prepared, and actually looking forward to this next week.

 

I do not have to let this pot hole open up to a huge sink hole and let it fester and destroy everything that I have worked for. I am going to turn it into an opportunity to learn and grow from it and see what I can do better.

 

We all have bad days, and even bad weeks or months. It happens to everyone, but what matters most about these times is what we do when we have these bad times, when nothing seems to go our way.

 

We can stop and take a moment to look and learn from what has happened. Even if we have not learned what to do, we can take solace in learning what NOT to do. This is often equally as important, if not more so.

 

If I learn from this event, and pull out the pearls of wisdom that are there, then it could turn out to be an asset to me, a great learning moment, even if only about what NOT to do.

 

Now on to an exceptional week! It is out there for all us, if we are willing to embrace it and don’t let ourselves turn mountains out of molehills, or pot holes into sink holes.

 

Enjoy!

 

Sanford Berenberg

Sanford@berenberg.net

http://www.berenberg.net

http://sanfordberenberg.blogspot.com/

502-533-9336

 

PS: If you know others who may enjoy this message of the day, please pass this message on or invite them to receive them themselves by sending a request to me. If you wish to stop receiving these, please also let me know. Thank you!!!

 

 

No comments: