Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Message of the Day - Reflections from the Past

Good Morning,

 

I returned from a short, albeit enjoyable, visit to my old stomping grounds, New York/Connecticut where I visited my Dad, brother, sister, her boyfriend, my favorite uncle and aunt. I also spent a day with my best friends (Howard & Kip), and their lovely ladies (Sarah & Susan). I made an effort to get some of my most favorite foods: products which are not readily available in Louisville, or not as good in Louisville. Sorry, there may be bagels in Louisville, but they are just not the same.

 

Going back to your past, like visiting home or going back to where you used to live, has an interesting impact on you. You become reflective of the events that occurred while you were there, and then you may think of your hopes and dreams while you lived there. Some of them you have achieved, and others you are close to fulfilling, and still others have been forgotten or abandoned. After being reflective you can rekindle some of those old dreams if you like, or muse how much you have grown since you had those dreams.

 

When visiting a house my father used to own on the way back to the airport, we saw trees that he had planted nearly 20 years ago. These trees are now easily over 20 feet tall and nearly that wide. Like these trees, when we reflect on our past, we see what seeds we planted in our lives back then and then can consider where they are now. Are these seeds now tall trees, or are they vacant land?

 

Going back to see where you were helps put perspective on where you are now and where you have plans to go to, now. I am a far different person than I was those 20 years ago, and while I have not continued down the path that I intended back then, to be an engineer and design aircraft, I have come down a far more pleasant path. I help people. And honestly, I don’t miss engineering.

 

Being able to see the past and connect it to the present made me more appreciative of where I am now, and even more so of my friends and family.

 

If you get a chance to reflect, or visit your past by going by an old house or former town, then do so, and take the time to reflect with who you were then and who you are now.

 

Enjoy!

 

Sanford Berenberg

Sanford@berenberg.net

http://sanfordberenberg.blogspot.com/

502-533-9336

 

PS: If you know others who may enjoy this message of the day, please pass this message on or invite them to receive them themselves by sending a request to me. If you wish to stop receiving these, please also let me know. Thank you!!!

 

 

 

No comments: