Saturday, May 24, 2008

Message of the Day - Choosing How You Spend Your Time

Good Morning,

 

My current read is a short book by Andy Stanley called ‘Choosing to Cheat: Who Wins when Family and Work Collide?’ (http://www.amazon.com/Choosing-Cheat-Wins-Family-Collide/dp/1590523296). By Cheating, the author is saying taking time away from someone. It has nothing to do with infidelity.

 

I liked this book because it brought up some very powerful messages about how we use our time. The American Dream has been to work hard and then retire with your family. As you work toward this dream, you can easily sacrifice your time for your career and cheat your family of it. The more time you spend away from the family the greater the impact it has. I keep thinking of the song ‘Cat’s in the Cradle’ by Harry Chapin.

 

When you miss your kid’s sports game due to a business commitment, whether you realize it or not, you are telling them that your business commitment is more important to you than being at their game. I know it is not as simple as that, but think about it from a child’s perspective. These events add up over the course of years.

 

If you can find a way to spend more time with your family now, then when you do reach your retirement, you will have a better family life to retire to.  This means making sure you maintain a good work-life balance. Anyway, as Andy Stanley points out, how many people at the end of their days says ‘I wish I had spent more time in the office’? Why wait until the end of your days?

 

Spend more time with your family now. It is hard, I know. I have struggled with leaving work on time every day. I don’t make it every day, but I am usually in the car on the way home by 10-15 minutes after my quitting time. Very little will get in the way of this, but it happens. Luckily for me when I have to stay late at work, or go on a business function, it is the exception and my family is accepting of this.  

 

Remember, we work for our family, and not the other way around. Choose how to spend your time wisely as you can only spend it once.

 

Enjoy!

 

Sanford Berenberg

Sanford@berenberg.net

http://sanfordberenberg.blogspot.com/

502-533-9336

 

PS: If you know others who may enjoy this message of the day, please pass this message on or invite them to receive them themselves by sending a request to me. If you wish to stop receiving these, please also let me know. Thank you!!!

 

 

 

 

 

No comments: