Monday, February 9, 2009

Message of the Day - Will the REAL you please stand up?

Good Morning,

 

I remember my Dad talking to me back in the 1980’s about why he was buying a larger house. His current house seemed fine to me; it had 5 bedrooms, a living room, family room, and plenty of storage and a garage. The reasons he told me he wanted a larger house was because one of his employees had recently bought a house larger than his. I asked him if he was serious. He said it was the custom in corporations, and that was the reason he got the new house. Some of these customs drove the image of the ‘Corporate Clone’.

 

How many actions do we make in our lives which are merely for position or for politics?

 

And if we dedicate our lives to playing politics or playing ‘the game’ do we lose ourselves in the process? I mean, does the ‘real’ us get covered up with what the world wants us to be? Then what happens to us?

 

I often seem folks find heroes in life who go against the grain. They do what no one else is willing or able to do, and then suddenly they go main stream. They ‘Sell Out’ and join the machine. These are people who supposedly give up who they are to get some quick cash, position or take advantage of some opportunity instead of going forward with how they are doing things today. Then again, are those people truly selling out, or are they just being themselves and their audience put them on a pedestal for wrong reasons?

 

It is a hard road to take for some. We feel pulled in all directions and are easily swayed down the nearest path or start the newest hobby or read the latest book just because someone else said it was all the rage. Remember in ‘I Love Lucy’ (there I go dating myself again) when Lucy, Fred, Ethel and Ricky are in a fancy restaurant. Lucy orders first and then changes her order after everyone else orders because she likes what they ordered? Some folks change directions and positions like the way the wind blows. Others know who they are and can stay the course no matter what life and others throw at them.

 

To make matters more confusing, we have to try to be ourselves in a world where life is lived in overdrive and speeding up. We can look forward to a greater number of life events being pushed so fast, they become ludicrous. Like Danny Kaye in the knighting ceremony in ‘The Court Jester’ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64Aiyec2czY) where the entire ceremony is rushed to the point that it is hilarious. The sad part is if we take a look back out or very day lives, we can easily see this happening to us today!

 

I have struggled in every place I have ever worked, lived and played because I am me. I say things people do not like, and I refuse to be someone that I am not, honesty can be upsetting. Then again, there were times in my life when I was not totally sure who I was. It has been a lifelong struggle for me to make sure that the person I know that I am is not being shaped into something else due to the company I work for, or the company I keep.

 

It has served me well to be able to negotiate life better being myself. In tough times, when we don’t know who we are or we pretend to be something we are not, that is when the walls come down. Back in 2003 when I was downsized from the Dot.Com, I did not know who I was and my world nearly collapsed. Today, I am more prepared, not totally there yet, but more prepared as I have a better understanding of who the real me is, meanwhile continually sharpening the saw.

 

So when the real you is asked to stand up, do you know who that person is? Have you met them? May it’s time you do.

 

Enjoy!

 

 

Sanford Berenberg

Sanford@berenberg.net

http://www.berenberg.net

http://sanfordberenberg.blogspot.com/

502-533-9336

 

PS: If you know others who may enjoy this message of the day, please pass this message on or invite them to receive them themselves by sending a request to me. If you wish to stop receiving these, please also let me know. Thank you!!!

No comments: