Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Message of the Day - Persistence, key to success

Good Morning,

 

As in anything, being persistent in what you do is a key driver in success. Research has shown that sticking with something, more than most other factors, is what leads one to success in any endeavor. This does mean that those who succeed are not always the smartest or the most talented, but rather, the most patient and those who simply persist.

 

How many times have we waited for something, and saw a sea of others doing the same and over time folks give up and leave, leaving less and less people waiting for the prize.

 

I remember back in 2001 there was a huge Powerball Lottery Jackpot and I was sent out for my office to get tickets. I found the first place with lottery and then got on line. The line was over 100 feet long of people, but every few moments it moved up. After half an hour of slow progression, having moved half the distance to the store front, I found out that the Lottery Machines were down. They had been down for over an hour. Not one person in front of me was able to get their tickets, yet half of them gave up and left. As the line got shorter, CNN showed up to report on the surge for lottery tickets. I mentioned to the lady in front of me that my boss just called on my cell and told me “NOT to come back without tickets.”

 

That line landed me on CNN (the reporter turned around with a big smile and asked if he could record me saying that).

 

In the end I did get lottery tickets, although not the winning tickets. It was interesting, my bosses boss saw me on CNN and asked her if we got any tickets for him, and we said ‘Sure!’ and all was well.

 

The point though was I did not give up. Sure I wasted two hours in line for the tickets, but it was fun, and I met many nice people and also got my ugly mug on CNN.

 

This same principle applies in all other aspects of our life. If we give up before the goal is reached, then we give up on the goal. Sure we periodically need to reassess whether we want to achieve the goal or not, but the important point is if that we want to achieve the goal, we should do what it takes to stay in there.

 

Seth Godin persisted and has just sent out his 3,000th Blog Message, oh and yeah, he is a huge Marketing guru, in part for his many Blogs and sticking with sending them out. (Google ‘Seth’ and he is the first hit.).

 

Persistence will help to get you where you want to go, if you can, well, persist.

 

Enjoy!

 

Sanford Berenberg

Sanford@berenberg.net

http://www.berenberg.net

http://sanfordberenberg.blogspot.com/

502-533-9336

 

PS: If you know others who may enjoy this message of the day, please pass this message on or invite them to receive them themselves by sending a request to me. If you wish to stop receiving these, please also let me know. Thank you!!!

 

 

No comments: