Thursday, September 18, 2008

Message of the Day - Are you credible enough?

Good Morning,

 

Welcome New Recipients!

 

We talk to a lot of people throughout our days, and we interact with others through email and other means. With long standing strong relationships, there is often little doubt of our credibility with those we know. They know us and they believe us for what we are and what we do. When you meet someone for the first time though, that level of credibility starts back at zero with some modifications here and there. Maybe someone gave you a reference, or you have a reputation for your work or maybe even some folks complaining about something you did or said.

 

When you start those new relationships, how others believe you casts vivid picture of how they will interact with you and communicate about you to others. What they perceive, and thus believe is more often then not, their truths.

 

So how do we build and convey credibility?

 

One way is to fulfill their expectations of what an expert is. For example, if someone expects a professional to be dressed in a suit and tie, then showing up in khakis and a polo shirt will hurt your credibility. At that point, their perception of what a professional looks like is not being met.

 

Looks and dress is not the end of the list. How you sound. A few weeks ago I took a call at work, not something I am known for there. The issue was not something I knew anything about and the caller was somewhat frantic. How am I supposed to be credible as Service Desk Analyst when I don’t do that job? Well, exceptional Service Desk Analysts sound calm and confident. So I spoke in a calm and confident manner during the entire call while I researched the issue and reached out for help into my office. At the end of the call, which was a bit longer than normal, the caller was happy. She said my tone calmed her down and she felt confident her issue was going to be addressed. I had credibility because I presented myself in expected manner.

 

Look at emails. When you get an email from someone with a lot of typo’s or in all CAPS you question the sender’s credibility. I know I do. So edit and spell check your emails. You do not have to be a Hemmingway, but you certainly can send out clean and crisp communications.

 

This does cross the line into stereotyping. This is both good and bad. It is good in that you can expect people to believe and behave in certain ways in certain situations and often have them follow through as expected. It is bad in that folks get pigeon-holed into those images as well.

 

Building credibility can take time, so start smart and find out what is expected and then decide if you want to or can present that image (without losing who you are in the mix, never stop being you!).

 

Enjoy!

 

Sanford Berenberg

Sanford@berenberg.net

http://www.berenberg.net

http://sanfordberenberg.blogspot.com/

502-533-9336

 

PS: If you know others who may enjoy this message of the day, please pass this message on or invite them to receive them themselves by sending a request to me. If you wish to stop receiving these, please also let me know. Thank you!!!

 

 

 

No comments: