Sunday, March 8, 2009

Message of the Day - Too Stubborn For My Own Good

Good Morning,

 

Some folks may not realize this, but I can get really focused on achieving a goal and develop tunnel vision. Everything I do or think then turns to achieving that goal. When problems arise, I resolve them and keep moving toward the goal. This ability to focus with laser precision is a true asset, but like all assets it is a great liability at the same time. Sometimes I get so focused that I miss the blatant signs that I am going the wrong direction. In other words, I get so boneheaded I ignore reality.

 

I know, some of you are saying it’s not true Sanford; you’re not like that at all. And others, well, hush, and never mind Karen standing behind me laughing. She earned that after what I put her through this past Saturday.

 

Last week we saw an ad for a large annual book sale. You know my eyes perked up. ‘Book sale’ hmm, sounds good, let’s go. It was to be on Saturday from 10 AM to 4:30 PM. I checked the website and got the time and downloaded address to my phone. We planned on being there at 10 AM.

 

So far so good!

 

Then we found out that one of our daughters who was to stay with her Dad this weekend had a scheduling mishap. It was something she was planning for over a month and really, really wanted to happen. How could we say no? (Book sale, please wait for me). So Karen and I would keep Samantha Friday night and would drop her off with a friend Saturday morning, but after we went to the book sale.

 

Problem fixed!

 

Then on Friday afternoon, Karen noticed a rash on Samantha’s back and called the Dr. They said come in Saturday morning.

 

Dang!

 

So we brought Samantha to the Dr. and found it is nothing major (thank you Lord!) then we went to drop Samantha off at the skating rink with her friend at 11 AM. There is still time to hit the book sale (which is completely on the other side of the city)! I powered up the map on my iPhone and it won’t take the route from our current location! Dang iPhone!! I rebooted it twice and still couldn’t get it to work. So I set up directions from my home to the sale and get the map, and that worked. The GPS showed where we were and the map showed where we were going to. All was good (the iPhone and I were friends again).

 

Then I received a call on my phone and I put on my new Bluetooth headset. Next thing you know the GPS went nuts, saying we are miles away from where we were.  HUH?!?  After the call, we kept heading onward, after turning off the headset, and finally made it the location of the book sale. And there was practically no one there, something was wrong.

 

Maybe it was the sign outside the location saying the sale was to be NEXT week. The ad we originally saw had a misprint.

 

All those signs not to go to sale were there. Only one problem, I completely ignored them because I was focused on the goal. Okay, you can say it now, ‘BONEHEAD!’

 

Sorry about the long story to get to the point.

 

We can get so focused in what we are doing in life that we completely miss the signs franticly waving in our face trying to get our attention. When you see the sign, instead of going the bonehead route like me, stop and ask yourself, ‘why is this happening?’ is there something I missed?

 

If I had done that and actually READ the website, I would have seen that there was a misprint in the first ad we read. Hopefully by embarrassing myself I will learn from my own lesson.

 

And next week, we are going to the book sale, of course there are more signs saying not to….

 

Enjoy!

 

Sanford Berenberg

Sanford@berenberg.net

http://www.berenberg.net

http://sanfordberenberg.blogspot.com/

502-533-9336

 

PS: If you know others who may enjoy this message of the day, please pass this message on or invite them to receive them themselves by sending a request to me. If you wish to stop receiving these, please also let me know. Thank you!!!

 

 

 

No comments: