Sunday, July 13, 2008

Message of the Day - That's What It Means to Me

Good Morning,

 

In conversations with kids you often hear some of the funniest and the most profound statements. In talking with some girls at a school function about some words and their meanings, one girl came up with the weirdest definition for a simple word. The other girls tried to correct her, but she said ‘To me, this is what it means’. I was both surprised at the blatant lack of reality and proud at her ability to stand up against convention all at once. I hope she learns when to use this skill to help her in the future, and when not to, because driving 75 MPH in a 30 MPH zone because ‘to her’ that is okay would not fly with the judge.

 

While this above situation is a bit extreme, it happens to all of us in our daily lives to some degree or another. Two people look at the same picture or witness the same event, and they remember different images or happenings. When trying to communicate with each other, this can cause some confusion between people.

 

Here is where communication is key. People need to confirm with each other what they seeing or thinking. Without the confirmation, you will run into little hiccups like Karen and I had one night, it is quite comical now. I brought the laundry downstairs, and she told me to put the basket on the washer, so I picked up the basket and put it on the washer. She told me no, put the basket on the washer, so I picked up the basket again and put it back down. Now red faced, Karen said no, and took the basked and emptied it on the washer. I did not understand what she wanted and we both were getting increasingly irritated. Turns out she was saying put the clothes on the washer and I was hearing put the basket on the washer, or that’s what she just told me when I wrote this message.

 

Anyway, that’s what it meant to me!

 

Enjoy!

 

Sanford Berenberg

Sanford@berenberg.net

http://sanfordberenberg.blogspot.com/

502-533-9336

 

PS: If you know others who may enjoy this message of the day, please pass this message on or invite them to receive them themselves by sending a request to me. If you wish to stop receiving these, please also let me know. Thank you!!!

 

 

 

 

No comments: