Monday, July 28, 2008

Message of the Day - Just Who Will You Be?

Good Morning,

My current read is Maria Shriver’s new book ‘Just Who Will You Be? : Big Question. Little Book. Answer Within.’ (http://www.amazon.com/Just-Who-Will-You-Question/dp/1401323189). Maria Shriver, well know TV Journalist, went through a crisis of identity and worked it out for herself. How she did it is captured in this gem of a book. I picked up the book on Friday after I found out about Dr. Randy Pausch. I was a little down and wanted to find something positive, and well, a book seemed to fit the bill, and I hit home with this one.

In ‘Just Who Will You Be?’ Maria talks about the pressures of being famous, of being a Kennedy, of being married to Arnold Schwarzenegger, of being the First Lady of the State of California, of being a driven TV Journalist. When her husband became Governor, she was asked to resign from her NBC job to avoid potential conflict of interest. She became a housewife. When asked by her nephew to give his high school commencement address, she struggled with what she could say to these students that they would want to hear from her.

Through the process of creating the speech, and poem within the speech, she learned a lot about herself. All of this is shared within the book.

She learned that it is not so much what she is, but who she is. Not what she does, but how she feels.

We are a composite of our feelings. When we do something that we like, we feel better about ourselves. When we do something we do not like, we feel less about ourselves. Our feelings define us for the moment, as with all things, our feelings change and so does life.

I really enjoyed the little book, as it made me think about myself and what makes me feel good about myself. Writing this email makes me feel good. Doing my mentoring sessions makes me feel good. Helping others makes me feel good, spending time with my family makes me feel good and so does completing tasks, like reading a book, or functions at work or chores at home.

Spend time to get to know your own feelings a bit better, and if you get a chance, find out just who will be you.

Enjoy!

Sanford Berenberg

Sanford@berenberg.net

http://sanfordberenberg.blogspot.com/

502-533-9336

PS: If you know others who may enjoy this message of the day, please pass this message on or invite them to receive them themselves by sending a request to me. If you wish to stop receiving these, please also let me know. Thank you!!!

No comments: