Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Message of the Day - Weathering the Sea of Interruptions

Good Morning,

 

As I am writing this email, my two cats have come up to me, one at a time demanding attention. They feel that petting them is more important than sharing ideas with….sorry, I am back, sharing ideas with you.

 

Interruptions can short-circuit our short term and long term memories. Wait, Karen is asking me a question…. Okay, what were we saying? Oh yes, interruptions and how they can shake up our routines.

 

In the mornings it is really bad for me, as I work on autopilot, and anything out of the ordinary tends to skew my entire agenda. Wait, another cat, no that’s my cell phone, I am on call this week. Just a minute… Stream of consciousness work, like this email tend to get decimated by interruptions as your mind is forced to look in different areas or come up with different ideas as the new situations present themselves. Wait, another cat… Okay, so for today, no wait, we are talking about interruptions.

 

Anyway, I found the best way to withstand interruptions (as some cannot be avoided) is to keep focused on the task at hand. And if you are to be pulled away, leave yourself a quick note or something to remind you what you were working on when you get a chance to come back.

 

With practice of leaving yourself notes, written, or even mental, you will be able to get back on track quickly.

 

I don’t have to remind you of how busy life is today, and how many interruptions we face daily.  Best we plan to weather them well.

 

Enjoy!

 

Sanford Berenberg

Sanford@berenberg.net

http://sanfordberenberg.blogspot.com/  ß Check out the new Blog site

502-533-9336

 

PS: If you know others who may enjoy this message of the day, please pass this message on or invite them to receive them themselves by sending a request to me. If you wish to stop receiving these, please also let me know. Thank you!!!

 

 

No comments: