Monday, February 25, 2008

Message of the Day - David did not whine about Goliath

Good Morning,

 

I am reminded of a time back in the 90’s when working with a team to convert a private property into a church pre-school, we were putting in a chain-link fence and we needed some hardware for it. We were in a small town, which had four hardware/lumber stores (Ace Hardware, True Value, Seecamps Lumber and a local lumber/hardware store). The town was a 20 to 25 minute drive from a small city in the area, with a new Home Depot which recently opened.

 

During the day, it was Friday, we had run out of chain link hardware and we needed to finish up the fence for the weekend. I was sent out to get the needed hardware. I went to True Value first (I had worked at two of these stores in my high school and early college days). They did not have the hardware I needed, but they asked me: ‘please don’t go to Home Depot’. I thanked them and went to the next hardware store, Ace. They also did not have the right hardware, and they also asked me not to go to the Home Depot. Next I went to Seecamps and guess what? They did not carry the parts I needed and they also asked me not to go to Home Depot. So, I drove off to the final possible store in town, and I ended that visit four for four. So after driving around town for an hour, and getting nothing accomplished, I drove off to Home Depot, got the parts and was back to work after another hour. I really did not want to drive to the next city, but I had to get that fence finished that day.

 

The four stores in the small town all cried out to not use Home Depot, but they did not take the steps they could have taken to keep their business. The could have communicated with each other and through the efforts of all four, they could have carried similar stock to the Home Depot. Sure it would cost more, but the gas to drive the extra hour round trip would often justify the price. Instead of whining, they could have done something.

 

Pointing to a large competitor or obstacle and crying about it will get you nowhere. You may get some sympathy, some help, but often you get ignored.

 

If you want to overcome a problem or face a challenge, then find the best way to do it. Be creative if necessary, and then roll up your sleeves and get to work.

 

 

Enjoy!

 

Sanford Berenberg

Sanford@berenberg.net

http://sanfordberenberg.blogspot.com/  ß Check out the new Blog site

502-533-9336

 

PS: If you know others who may enjoy this message of the day, please pass this message on or invite them to receive them themselves by sending a request to me. If you wish to stop receiving these, please also let me know. Thank you!!!

 

No comments: