Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Message of the Day - Letters of Love

Good Morning,

 

I am finishing up ‘Men are from Mars and Women are From Venus’ by John Gray (http://home.marsvenus.com/).  It is a great book, but I have to put it down periodically. Here is where I read some of those short books in between. This allows me to come back to the book with a fresh perspective each time.

 

One part of Men are From Mars, Women are From Venus that really indicated to me was writing love letters to your significant others when you are upset at them.

 

Instead of allowing a disagreement to expand into an argument and then to a fight, recognize that your voice is getting loud and excuse yourself to cool off and focus yourself. Here is where you can write a letter to your loved one (even if you don’t ever give it to them). Start off with what you are angry about, what you are fearful about, what you are sad about, what you regret and finally with what you love. End the letter with a PS which states how you would like to be replied to.

 

This letter allows you to vent your angers, like ‘it really upsets me that you take your frustrations out on me’.

For fears, you can write ‘I am afraid that every time I get close to you, I am chased away by your frustration’.

With Sad, you can write that you are sad that whenever you try to find a way to help, it ends up in a fight.

With Regret, you can write that you regret what you might have said, how what you said or did was taken, all the times you fought.

With Love, you can write about how much you love, what you love and that you look forward to more happiness.

 

In the PS Section you can write that you wish to get a hug or hear them say ‘I am sorry’.

 

Putting the words onto paper, whether you share that letter or not is a great tool to release some stress and allow you to cool off prior to starting up communications with your loved ones.

 

Many an argument could be avoided with such a simple tool.

 

Enjoy!

 

Sanford Berenberg

Sanford@berenberg.net

http://www.berenberg.net

http://sanfordberenberg.blogspot.com/

502-533-9336

 

PS: If you know others who may enjoy this message of the day, please pass this message on or invite them to receive them themselves by sending a request to me. If you wish to stop receiving these, please also let me know. Thank you!!!

 

 

 

No comments: