Sunday, October 12, 2008

Message of the Day - Fooling Yourself

Good Morning,

 

I just returned from an afternoon walk. One that I wanted to take so that I could get some needed exercise. As I finished up the walk and made for the home stretch I thought back to a time in my youth when I was with my Dad, Stepmom Cecilia, and my sister at our country house in Shohola, Pennsylvania. The house was part of the Walker Lake Community.  

 

Back then my parents were into running and with friends of the family, my Dad, Stepmom went to run around the lake. It was about a three and a half mile run. I was about 10 and thought I could run around it to. So I we all started together and within a short time, I was way behind everyone else. As I huffed and puffed, I stopped and decided to walk back to the house. Then another idea hit me. I walked up the other way and hid in the woods waiting for the joggers to make their way back home. My Dad and his friend, George were first, followed by Cecilia and the last runner was George’s wife. After she was well past me, I climbed out of the woods and hamming it up I straggled back to house as if I made the run.

 

Looking back to then I realize that I fooled by parents, but worse then that, I fooled myself. I deprived myself of trying to complete a task, and gave myself an out. I did not benefit from the exercise and I hardly ever ran again. Making it right to fool others is a dangerous place to be. You can easily get into a mindset where you are justifying your own actions and making it right to continually fool people.

 

I have since come clean with my Dad about this incident. More importantly, I have come clean with myself. I work hard to achieve my goals, but I also make it okay for me to not complete a goal if it is not the right goal or if it is too difficult. I have even learned to put down a book I am reading if I just cannot get into it. Luckily there are over 50 others lying around to be picked up and read.

 

When you are honest with yourself and truly put effort into achieving your goals, you can achieve great things. You can go back to college and get that degree. You can enter a competition and win. You can learn a new hobby and enjoy many hours with that new hobby.

 

When you are honest with yourself, you may not always get what you want, or do what you want, but you will know where you are. You will not be in a wild maze of webs created by years of deceiving yourself. You will not have to figure out what you said or did for others when you were trying to fool them so you don’t give yourself away.

 

Honesty is still the best policy.

 

Enjoy!

 

 

Sanford Berenberg

Sanford@berenberg.net

http://www.berenberg.net

http://sanfordberenberg.blogspot.com/

502-533-9336

 

PS: If you know others who may enjoy this message of the day, please pass this message on or invite them to receive them themselves by sending a request to me. If you wish to stop receiving these, please also let me know. Thank you!!!

 

 

 

No comments: