Monday, January 19, 2009

Message of the Day - Be Very Quiety, I am Stealth Learning.....

Good Morning,

 

Welcome New Recipients!!

 

Over the last few weeks I have been listening to ‘Primal Leadership’ by Daniel Goleman: Realizing the Power of Emotional Intelligence (http://www.amazon.com/Primal-Leadership-Realizing-Emotional-Intelligence/dp/157851486X).

 

Listening to the book has re-emphasized the importance of learning to improve our Emotional Quotient or EQ. That is, learn to improve our Emotional Intelligence so that we can interact better with others in as many different situations as possible.

 

One section that jumped out at me was ‘Stealth Learning’. Sounds like sneaking into a bookstore and reading a book, but not buying it (which I am not a fan of. That is why we have libraries). Dr. Goleman tells us that Stealth Learning is a method of learning where as we are doing something else, we learn stuff. The goal is not to learn, but to do, and while we do, we learn.

 

Some folks take on new projects or dive into fields where they have little to no knowledge, for Stealth Learning. They learn many new skills and a lot of knowledge while at the same time working to achieve a goal.

 

Dr. Goleman goes on to say that Stealth Learning can often be better than direct learning (get training, take a class, etc.), because what we learn is both immediately applicable and hands on.

 

I remember while leading one unit, I learned so much about the unit that I could pass as proficient in it in a very short period of time, yet I never had any formal training in it. I learned bits and pieces along the way as I performed my role as a manager. For example, a problem arose, I reached out to my team for help and in resolving the issue, I then learned something new. My goal was resolving the problem, along the way, I learned about the solution, but in addition, I learned other things as well as the team offered suggestions and then commented back and forth on these. In the end, I even improved my management and leadership skills as I learned a lot about working in a stressful environment.

 

It is amazing what we can learn as we go through our days. When we take on new projects or enter new areas of our lives, we open the door to greater opportunities for Stealth Learning.

 

Enjoy!

 

Sanford Berenberg

Sanford@berenberg.net

http://www.berenberg.net

http://sanfordberenberg.blogspot.com/

502-533-9336

 

PS: If you know others who may enjoy this message of the day, please pass this message on or invite them to receive them themselves by sending a request to me. If you wish to stop receiving these, please also let me know. Thank you!!!

 

 

 

No comments: