Tuesday, September 17, 2013

The difference between knowing others and investing in them

Good morning,

 

The other day I stopped by a coffee shop that I had used to frequent. I had not been there for about a year. Some of the people in line and some who were behind the counter were new, but one lady I remembered, and apparently she never forgot me. In fact, she even prepared my coffee just the way I liked it, even with not having seen me in a year.  

 

It really made me feel good to be remembered after this time. It surprised me as the amount of people these folks see daily, weekly, etc., is huge. To remember me out of all of this, how?

 

Some could say that she was that good of a barista, although I think it is something more.

 

When I frequented the shop, I invested time into talking with the baristas at the shop. She was one of them. She reminded me of my Mother and is also from New York City, so we had a lot in common.

 

Again, there are a lot of people in Louisville who are transplants from New York or the northeast in general, but for most I never made a connection. I never invested time into creating a friendship.  

 

It was that invested time that endured for over a year. It was stopping by several mornings a week for a few years, saying hello, and sharing parts of my life and interests and they doing the same.

 

Investing in others builds relationships, it creates friendships.

 

It is the fertilizer that builds even when you don’t realize you are doing it. Just by being a kind friendly person, and sharing of yourself, you are planting seeds which will grow fruit in the time to come.

 

I promised my friend I would visit again, but this time in less than a year.

 

There is knowing people, and then there is investing in them.

 

Which do you think creates stronger relationships?

 

I think you know.

 

Enjoy!

 

Sanford Berenberg

Sanford@berenberg.net
http://www.learnandgrowdaily.com

http://sanfordberenberg.blogspot.com/

 

Click on the book to order: "Learn And Grow Daily!"

502-533-9336

 

 

 

 

 

No comments: